Sunday, July 17, 2011

Midnight Ramblings

It's actually later than midnight, but I think I'm just going to keep the title. It sounds better than "Such and Such o' Clock Ramblings", and it keeps me from looking guiltily at the clock. Insomnia has won out yet again. And I admit, I'm a night owl, so I almost like it when I have insomnia. Until the next morning, that is. Which I suppose doesn't really help me sleep, but since I'm up anyway and sleep is still evading me, I thought I might as well write a blog post while I try to Find Sleep.

I give my apologies in advance for any blaring typos and hideous grammar mistakes.

So far, we're about halfway through the moving process. If all goes well, then we will be moved out of the house by Monday. I often wonder if that's an unreasonable goal, as we still have a ton of work to do.

There are boxes. Everywhere. Most of the contents in those boxes I shall never see again, as most of it is Going Away. Many of our larger furniture items are completely gone, including the living room couches. Currently we are substatuting an old futon mattress until that needs to go, too, but it's low to the ground and not very comfortable, so I doubt it will be used much.

Our tables and chairs are being moved out tomorrow. When I finally make my way towards 'bed', I will be sleeping on a bunch of blankets folded onto the floor, because every bed in the house, except for our parents', has been given away or dumped, or put in storage. Everything has been completely torn apart. I've said goodbye to things I'd rather not say goodbye to, but in the end, it will all be worth it. After all, it's not every day that a girl gets to travel on the road with her family.

 But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little bit sad to move. I mean, this house is the only home I can remember - once I realized that, my former "Oh, what a shame...it's just a house" attitude quickly turned into something like "What in the name of Pete are we DOING?"

Of course, despite my doubts and fears and reluctance, I'm still quite willing - and thrilled - to make the jump, along with the rest of my family, into the unknown. But even so, saying goodbye to this dumpy old house by the park (don't even get me started on the park) is going to be hard. But then again, no one said that this was going to be easy - we all know it's not going to be easy, but we're willing to endure the pains and the goodbyes. God is in control. This is His decision, not ours. I trust Him to provide for us, and I trust Him to make Benny just as good as a home as this place ever was.

I mean, He parted the Red Sea. And all manner of other things. What've I got to worry about?

That being said, I need to go to bed. I apologize if this post hasn't made much sense, it being written at such a late/early hour. (I'm really not sure how Late or how Early. I won't look at the time. Ignorance is bliss, right?)

G'night!

3 comments:

Ajnos Gamgee said...

Hey Eo. I can relate a little to what you're going through. I'm having to pack up my entire life into one "large" suitcase to take to Oxford. I'm leaving everything I've ever known behind (this too is the house I've lived in my entire life). It's amazing, when you're forced to "downsize", just how much stuff you have collected over the years. And things I would have thought I could never part with, I suddenly look at and think "I don't really need that". I won't be getting rid of as much stuff as you guys - but leaving it behind creates the same bitter-sweet feeling. My bed, my desk, my hedgehogs, my Cabbage Patch dolls. Oh, and my books - my poor books. As much as it hurts to leave them, I know I will and can live without them. Some of the things will be replaced, but not all.

That's just to say: I can kind-of relate to what you're going through. Although our adventures are very different, I'm glad we're both setting out on them. We're going to grow so much.

Lots of love
Ajjie >'.'<

Unknown said...

I thought you might be able to relate - though, while you may not be getting rid of as much stuff, at least I'll be in the same country. (For the time, at least.) Moving to a different continent entirely, I imagine, must be overwhelming.

Though, highly exiting. I wish you the best. ^.^

Lots of love,

Alex

Lilly said...

I think I can relate too. Moving overseas to Brazil and getting rid of lots of stuff, putting other stuff in storage in peoples houses and barns. I wish I had, had your attitude, Eo.

Post a Comment